As a result of completing this activity, the participant will be better able to:
- Describe the differences between people who become patients and those who choose not to seek medical care.
- Identify the events that turn patients into plaintiffs.
- Refrain from using specific physician behaviors that precipitate lawsuits.
- List the behaviors of never-sued physicians and incorporate them into daily practice.
- Apply the principles of patient-centered interviewing.
- Recognize potentially litigious patients and put into practice methods for dealing with them.
The Virtual Lecture Hall (VLH.com) is an online CME site offering AMA/PRA Category 1 credits for physicians and other health care providers. VLH.com is owned/operated by The University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson and offers courses that fulfill many state-mandated CME requirements, such as safe opioid prescribing, pain management, medical ethics, professionalism, risk management, medical errors prevention, patient safety, professional responsibility, cultural competency, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS), infection control, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, sexual assault, palliative medicine, and end-of-life care.