As a result of completing this activity, the participant will be better able to:
- Manage acute and chronic back pain.
- Assess the functional effects of pain in patients.
- Appropriately utilize a range of therapeutic options when managing patients with chronic pain.
- Comply with current opioid risk-management practices, including the use of pain contracts and urine drug testing.
- Educate patients on the proper use, storage, and disposal of opioid medications.
The Virtual Lecture Hall (VLH.com) is an online CME site offering AMA/PRA Category 1 credits for physicians and other health care providers. VLH.com is owned/operated by The University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson and offers courses that fulfill many state-mandated CME requirements, such as safe opioid prescribing, pain management, medical ethics, professionalism, risk management, medical errors prevention, patient safety, professional responsibility, cultural competency, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS), infection control, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, sexual assault, palliative medicine, and end-of-life care.