As a result of completing this activity, the participant will be better able to:
- Describe the legal obligations of physicians.
- Cite the natural history of malpractice suits.
- List the differences in behavior of nonsued and sued physicians.
- Apply strategies for reducing medical malpractice risk.
- Prove a claim of medical malpractice by citing required elements.
The Virtual Lecture Hall (VLH.com) is an online CME site offering AMA/PRA Category 1 credits for physicians and other health care providers. VLH.com is owned/operated by The University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson and offers courses that fulfill many state-mandated CME requirements, such as safe opioid prescribing, pain management, medical ethics, professionalism, risk management, medical errors prevention, patient safety, professional responsibility, cultural competency, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS), infection control, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, sexual assault, palliative medicine, and end-of-life care.